By Anna Baldwin
A Guidebook to 'Piers Plowman':
* clarifies and explores Langland's thinking
* contextualises the non secular, political and social matters he raises
* info the genres and resources the poet uses
* employs updated bibliographical wisdom to provide replacement serious interpretations and recommend methods of concerning those to the poet's key concerns
* explains Langland's old, theological and mental assumptions in useful inserted textual content boxes
* positive aspects illustrations and recommendations for extra reading.
Concise and approachable, this can be a useful software to aid scholars savour the originality and modernity of Langland's poetry.
Read or Download A Guidebook to Piers Plowman PDF
Best literary medieval criticism books
Arion's Lyre examines how Hellenistic poetic tradition tailored, reinterpreted, and reworked Archaic Greek lyric via a posh technique of textual, cultural, and inventive reception. taking a look at the ways that the poetry of Sappho, Alcaeus, Ibycus, Anacreon, and Simonides was once preserved, edited, and browse by way of Hellenistic students and poets, the publication indicates that Archaic poets usually glance very diversified within the new social, cultural, and political surroundings of Hellenistic Alexandria.
Professor Dihle sees the Greek and Latin literature among the first century B. C. and the sixth century A. D. as an natural development. He builds on Schlegel's statement that paintings, customs and political lifestyles in classical antiquity are inextricably entwined and as a result shouldn't be tested individually.
Ovid dedicated approximately 1/2 his poetic occupation to the construction of numerous collections of amatory verse, all composed in elegiac couplets. certainly, his irrepressible curiosity in love, intercourse and elegiac poetry is without doubt one of the defining positive aspects of his complete output. the following Rebecca Armstrong bargains a thematic exam of a few vital facets of the Amores, Ars Amatoria and Remedia Amoris.
Saracens and Franks in twelfth - fifteenth Century eu and close to japanese Literature examines the strain among competing discourses within the medieval Muslim Mediterranean and medieval Christian Europe: one rooted within the wish to comprehend the realm and one's position in it, and one other selling an ethnocentric narrative.
- Mediävistische Kulturwissenschaft: Ausgewählte Studien (German Edition)
- Disputatio 1200-1800: Form, Funktion und Wirkung eines Leitmediums universitärer Wissenskultur (Trends in Medieval Philology) (German Edition)
- Formen arthurischen Erzählens: Vom Mittelalter bis in die Gegenwart (Schriften der Internationalen Artusgesellschaft) (German Edition)
- Songs of the Women Troubadours (Garland Library of Medieval Literature)
Additional resources for A Guidebook to Piers Plowman
A Guidebook to Piers Plowman by Anna Baldwin