By Alan H. Sommerstein
Read or Download Aeschylean Tragedy PDF
Best literary medieval criticism books
Arion's Lyre examines how Hellenistic poetic tradition tailored, reinterpreted, and remodeled Archaic Greek lyric via a fancy technique of textual, cultural, and artistic reception. the ways that the poetry of Sappho, Alcaeus, Ibycus, Anacreon, and Simonides used to be preserved, edited, and browse by way of Hellenistic students and poets, the e-book exhibits that Archaic poets frequently glance very assorted within the new social, cultural, and political environment of Hellenistic Alexandria.
Professor Dihle sees the Greek and Latin literature among the first century B. C. and the sixth century A. D. as an natural development. He builds on Schlegel's statement that artwork, customs and political lifestyles in classical antiquity are inextricably entwined and for that reason shouldn't be tested individually.
Ovid dedicated approximately 1/2 his poetic profession to the construction of numerous collections of amatory verse, all composed in elegiac couplets. certainly, his irrepressible curiosity in love, intercourse and elegiac poetry is without doubt one of the defining positive aspects of his complete output. right here Rebecca Armstrong bargains a thematic exam of a few vital elements of the Amores, Ars Amatoria and Remedia Amoris.
Saracens and Franks in twelfth - fifteenth Century ecu and close to japanese Literature examines the stress among competing discourses within the medieval Muslim Mediterranean and medieval Christian Europe: one rooted within the wish to comprehend the realm and one's position in it, and one other selling an ethnocentric narrative.
- Virgil: Aeneid I (Latin Texts)
- Zwischen Mythos und Geschichte (spectrum Literaturwissenschaft / spectrum Literature) (German Edition)
- Nibelungische Intertextualität: Generationenbeziehungen und genealogische Strukturen in der Heldenepik des Spätmittelalters (Trends in Medieval Philology) (German Edition)
- In Light of Another's Word: European Ethnography in the Middle Ages (The Middle Ages Series)
- Joinings: Compound Words in Old English Literature (Toronto Anglo-Saxon Series)
Additional info for Aeschylean Tragedy
Aeschylean Tragedy by Alan H. Sommerstein